Day of solidarity with those - who live and dead on the street
on the last Monday in March
The last Monday in March - is an annual action of solidarity with people who find themselves on the street. This day was founded in 2017 at the initiative of the Nuzhna Pomosh fund, the Nochlezhka org., and the Takie Dela portal. The last Monday of March was chosen as The Day of the Homeless Man - as the “hard day” of the still cold month. It is necessary to talk about the problem of homelessness in order to change the attitude towards the homeless people.
To change the perception of homeless people. To draw public attention to the troubles of those - who were left on the street – to the troubles of the homeless people. To talk about the problem of homelessness and show that no one is safe from this misfortune in Russia: people find themselves on the street due to a complex of social and economic difficulties, personal difficulties, health problems and lack of energy.
"Home through the eyes of a homeless men"
Nochlezhka org. and the «Leroy Merlin» chain of stores created an installation that shows how a home looks through the eyes of a homeless man in the yard of the «Khlebozavod» space. The volunteers of the organization built a model of the house measuring 2.5 by 2.5 meters. Through the windows you can see a cozy room, warm light, a pleasant interior. But the house is closed, the windows are covered with a rabitz. To get inside – is impossible. If for most people home is a part of everyday life, without it - it is difficult to imagine a quiet life. For homeless people home - is a dream and an aspiration.
By this action, the charity Nochlezhka org. and «Leroy Merlin» want to draw the attention of visitors to the problem of homelessness and support those who find themselves on the street.
A person at risk: 9 signs.
Nochlezhka org. has prepared a flyer with nine signs to let you know that the person next to you - may become homeless. In a crisis, the risk of being on the street increasesrapidly: people lose their jobs, lose the opportunity to rent a flat, and pay credits. It is very important to catch someone who is just starting to fall. With this flyer Nochlezhka org. reminds: no one is immune from homelessness. Every day someone's friends and colleagues found themselves on the street. Even a little help at the right time can save a person from troubles. Signs from the flyers will make it clear that the person is on the verge of homelessness.
Libraries, bookstores and publishing houses
• Libraries in Moscow and St. Petersburg have prepared thematic shelves for The Day of the Homeless Man, and placed posters of the action. Before the quarantine was announced, visitors could see them live. In Moscow, the action was supported by 34 libraries, in St. Petersburg - 22.
• The book publishing house «Nikeia» will transfer to Nochlezhka org. 10% of the books that it will sell in its online store from March 30 to April 8.
• On the Day of the Homeless Man, the electronic library MyBook published a selection of 30 books about homelessness. For everyone who stays at home, MyBook opens a free monthly subscription with the STAYHOME promo code.
• The online library Bookmate has published a list of 10 books that motivate, distract and comfort during tough times. This list was compiled by the director of the Nochlezhka org. Grigory Sverdlin as part of the #sidichitai (#sitandread) campaign. In addition, Bookmate Journal published an interview with Grigory, in which the head of the organization talks about how quarantine and the pandemic affect the work of Nochlezhka org.
• Storytel portal will share the information about The Day of the Homeless Man on its social networks and give a selection of books on homelessness with its readers. On the occasion of the quarantine, Storytel extended the trial subscription period: now you can listen to books for free for 30 days.
• Bookstore Podpisnie Izdania in St. Petersburg has prepared a separate shelf with books on the problem of homelessness.
• In Moscow, the bookstores Falanster and Pioner have prepared a selection of books on the homeless and homeless.
Speaking about the Day of the Homeless Man - Together with Nochlezhka org.:
The director of the Nochlezhka, Grigory Sverdlin, will talk about the Day of the Homeless Ma and the work of the organization during quarantine on the Dozhd TV channel.
The art critic and architectural historian Ksenia Malich will publish a list of three works of art on the theme of homelessness
The annual Day of Solidarity with everyone who lives and dies on the street will be discussed at their sites:
Novaya Gazeta, Vedomosti, Echo of Moscow, Arzamas, The Suffering Middle Ages, PostNauka, 2x2, Dog, Tretyakov Gallery on Krymsky Val, GARAGE, PechaKuchaAGE Moscow, Bulgakovs House , Museum of Russian Impressionism, CIM, Jewish Museum, Museum of Moscow, Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Lumiere Brothers Photography Center, British Higher School of Design, ARTPLAY, Flacon, Winzavod, InLiberty, Kluch, House of Cultures, EU Delegation in Moscow, International Cycling Congress, Strelka, HSE School of Design, Theory and Practice, Muzeon, British Council, Mel, Beat film festival, Shaninka, Ziferblat, CreativeMornings Moscow, Telegraph by Rent24, MAMM, Mutabor, Richter, Workshop, The Question, Knife, Sakharov Center, Art Magazine , Sigma, Look at Me, Pioner Cinema, Mediazona, Age of Happiness, Playbill, Nikselpixel, Evgeny Feldman, Victoria Rashina, Leonid Klein, Moskvich magician, Friendship Foundation, Anna Akhmatova Museum, Subscriptions, All free, Floors , Theater of Generations, KudaGo, Lecture Hall "CULTURA", Paper, Fontanka.ru, Echo of Moscow in St. Petersburg, Ilya Varlamov, Tamara Eidelman, ASI, Peterburg2, MBH media.
“Homelessness is not a characteristic of a person and it is not the choice. This is a difficult and scary period of life, and is difficult to cope with it alone. Especially when people around stop to see a person on the street as a person with his own history, memory and human dignity. It is symbolic that in this year The Day of the Homeless Man coincided with the first day of the All-Russian quarantine week. We see a lot of calls to stay home, to wait out the threat, while tens of thousands of people across the country remain on the streets and simply cannot return home, these are those who do not have home at all. It is more important for us is this reason to draw society's attention to the problem of homelessness and to show that the border between “ordinary” people and those who have no roof over their heads is very thin ”, - says the director of the Nochlezhka org. Grigory Sverdlin.
The Day of the Homeless Man - this is a good reason to talk about this big issue in the media and social networks. No one is immune from homelessness. Make sure of this, take the Nochlezhka org. test - and estimate, how likely you are to be homeless.
Одна из важнейших задач Ночлежки — изменение отношения к бездомным. Мы проводим концерты и акции привлекая внимание к рассказывая о проблеме.
Нам требуется и ваша помощь.
Деньги необходимы на аренду помещений и площадей, аренду оборудования, печать материалов и многое другое